Bringing Key Events and People from the Past to Life
Early Civilisations History Resources for Key Stage 2
- Inspire your pupils with curiosity about the past
- Develop knowledge and understanding of past events
- Understand historical sources and how to use them by becoming history detectives
A perfect two lesson overview of the first four early civilisations:
- Ancient Sumer
- Ancient Egypt
- The ancient Indus Valley civilisation
- Shang dynasty of ancient China.
These two lessons explore where and when the first civilisations appeared and investigate some of their most important achievements.
The lessons provide primary teachers with a standalone study and also act as an introduction to a more in-depth investigation of one of these ancient civilisations for budding history detectives.
Each lesson strongly supports historical enquiry skills and includes:
Learning objectives and success criteria
Starter and plenary suggestions
A rich resource of superb artefact images
Activities with related activity sheets
Differentiated materials in Lesson 2