The purpose of this lesson is:to research and present information on the similarities and differences between Athens and Sparta.
Children should learn:
• what is meant by ‘democracy’ (government by
leaders elected by the people);
• some of the ideas of people living in Athens and
• to find out about the similarities and differences
between Athens and Sparta.
Learning objectives Learning outcomes
Children should be able to:
• know that Athens and Sparta were city states and
• distinguish between the beliefs of the Athenians
and Spartans and know some reasons why they
held those beliefs
Includes full lesson and activity sheets